Skip to main content

F. Wilbur Gingrich: Home

Connecting the Past with the Present

 

 

On May 3, 1980, Alumni Day, the F. Wilbur Gingrich Library was named for him. He was well liked by the students and was voted the most popular member of the faculty. 

He was born on May 29, 1901 and died on October 19, 1993. He began teaching at Schuylkill College in 1923 and continued until 1929. At Schuylkill he taught Greek, Latin, German and the Bible.  Schuylkill College merged with Albright College in 1928. At Albright he was a Professor of Greek from 1929 until 1972, when he retired.

Dr. Gingrich also received international recognition for translating William Bauer's German to English,A German-English Lexicon of the New Testament and other Christian Literature from the 1880s. Working at the University of Chicago, it took Gingrich five and a half years to complete the translation. 

He is also known as the co-author, along with Eugene Barth, of the college's first history in 1956, for the college's centennial. The book was titled, A History of Albright College, 1856-1956.