Skip to main content

Smith Hall: Home

Connecting the Past with the Present

 

 

Smith Hall, one of the first dormitories to be constructed as part of the quad, was built in 1962. It was named in honor of Lewis Edwin Smith, an economics, political science and history professor of Albright College. He was hired in 1923 and throughout his time on campus he lived in the bell tower of White Chapel. Living in White Chapel allowed him to supervise the football players and keep them under control while in "The Lions Den." Smith was also the supervisor of the bookstore, the building and grounds crews, and the expenditures of the college dining hall.