Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Writing a Citation
Kelson, John. “Allegory and Myth in ‘The Cherry Orchard’,” Western Humanities Review 13, No. 3 (Summer 1959): 321-24.; excerpted and reprinted in Twentieth-Century Literary Criticism, vol. 55, ed. Marie Lazzari (Detroit: The Gale Group, 2001). 42-44.
Notice that the original critical essay written by John Kelson on Anton Chekhov’s play, “The Cherry Orchard” appeared in Western Humanities Review in 1959. However, since you did not have the original essay, but rather read part of the essay in Twentieth-Century Literary Criticism, you must include that information in your citation.
Literary Criticism in cataLION
To find books about an author or volumes of critical essays on literature use cataLION.
To find books written by, for example, William Shakespeare, do an author search: "Shakespeare"
To find books about William Shakespeare, do a subject search: "Shakespeare"
To find books containing literary criticism, do a keyword search: "Shakespeare" and "criticism or influence" or interpretation
- Shakespeare and Criticism or interpretation
- "Taming of the Shrew" Criticism
Literature Criticism Online
An online collection of literary criticism from 1973 to the present. This resource is the electronic version of Gale's Contemporary Literary Criticism
- Each of the 300+ volumes in this long-standing series profiles approximately four to eight novelists, poets, playwrights, journalists, philosophers or other creative and nonfiction writers by providing full-text or excerpted criticism reproduced from books, magazines, literary reviews, newspapers and scholarly journals. A full citation and annotation precede each of the approximately 75 essays per volume; many include an author portrait.
Literary Reference Center Plus
This rich full-text database provides a broad spectrum of information on thousands of authors and their works across literary disciplines and time frames. It gives students, professors and researchers a foundation of literary reference works to meet their research needs.
Literature - Criticism
- Articles on Twentieth Century Literature: an Annotated Bibliography, 1954 to 1970. [809.04 P889a] 7 vols.
- Asian American Literature: Reviews and criticism of Works by American Writers of Asian Descent. [Ref 810.989 A832T]
- Black Literature Criticism : Excerpts from Criticism of the Most Significant Works of Black Authors over the Past 200 Years. [Ref 809.88 B627] 3 vols.
- British Women Writers. [Ref 820.8 S533o]
- British Writers. [Ref 820.9 B862] 8 vols. Retrospective Supplement. [820.9 B862SR] 2 vols.
- Contemporary Literary Criticism : Annual Cumulative Title Index. [809.04 C761I v.1-186]
- Contemporary Authors (Database)
- The Continuum Encyclopedia of Modern Criticism and Theory. [Ref 801.95 C762W]
- The Critical Perspective:Twentieth Century Criticism of British and American Literature to 1904. [820.9 C934] 11 vols.
- Gale Literary Index to to all Gale criticism series, e.g., Contemporary Literary Criticism, Dictionary of Literary Biography, Literature Criticism from 1400 to 1800, Nineteenth Century Literary Criticism, Twentieth Century Literary Criticism
- Literature Criticism from 1400 to 1800. [809.03 L776] 23 vols.
- Magill's Bibliography of Literary Criticism: Selected Sources for the Study of More Than 2,500 Outstanding Works of Western Literature. [809.04 M194] 4 vols.
- The Major Authors Edition of the New Moulton's Library of Literary Criticism. [820.9 M234] 6 vols.
- Nineteenth-Century Literature Criticism. [809.034 N714] 41 vols.
- Reader's Index to the Twentieth Century Views Literary Criticism Series, volumes 1-100. 1973. [Ref 809 T971r]
- Twentieth-Century British Literature. [820.9 T971] 6 vols.
- Twentieth-Century American Literature. [810.9 T971] 8 vols.
- Twentieth Century Literary Criticism. [809.04 C761T] 147 vols.