Skip to main content

Sarah Krause Hall: Home

Connecting the Past with the Present

 

 

Shortly after World War II the United States government had buildings to give away to educational institutions. One of those buildings came from Camp Patrick Henry in Virginia. It was moved to Reading in sections during the summer of 1947. On February 10, 1948 the building was dedicated and ready for student use. At that time Albright College used the building for a bookstore, canteen/soda fountain, showers and locker room, chapel and assemblies, and for recreational and physical education purposes. It was used as a student Union Building.

In 1950 the building was renovated and new exterior imitation brick siding was added. On April 26,1952 it was rededicated as Krause Hall in honor of Sarah E. Krause, wife of Lewis D. Krause, a benefactor to the college.

The building also had a theater and the last performance by the Domino Players was "The Little Foxes" on February 17 and 18, 1967. The director was Edwin Sargent.

In the spring of 1967 the Sarah E. Krause Hall was razed. The foundation and basement area were not dismantled and were used for the new Campus Center.