Finding Reference Resources
Reference sources provide solid background information on a topic or provide quick and easy access to sources with factual information. You will want to consult them when you either need good background on a topic (e.g., an encyclopedia article) or to find a quick fact or definition (e.g., dictionary or almanac).
- Ancient Greek Authors. [880.9 A541]
- Concise Dictionary of Greek Literature. [Ref 880.3 M292c]
- Greek-English Lexicon. New ed. [Ref 483.2 L712] 2 vols.
- Who's Who in the Greek World. [Ref 920.038 H429w 2000] Also available as an e-book from netLibrary.
- Ancient Roman Writers. [870.9 A541]
- Cassell's Concise Latin-English, English-Latin Dictionary. [Ref 473.2 C344]
- A Dictionary of Latin Words and Phrases. [Ref 473.2 M892d]
- Harper's Latin Dictionary. Rev., enlarged ed. [473.2 A566h 1907]
- Latin Phrases & Quotations. Rev. ed. [Ref 473.2 B821ß]
Greek and Latin
- Ancient Writers : Greece and Rome. [Ref 880.09 A541] 2 vols.
- Atlas of the Classical World. [Ref 911.38 H615a 1959]
- Atlas of the Greek and Roman World in Antiquity. [Folio 912.38 A881]
- Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World. [Folio 912.38 B278]
- Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World : Map-By-Map Directory. [Ref 912.38 B276T] Also available on software stored in the AV closet.
- Crowell's Handbook of Classical Drama. [Ref 880.092 H364c]
- Crowell's Handbook of Classical Literature. [880.3 F293c]
- Greek and Latin Authors, 800 B.C.-A.D. 1000. [Ref 880.3 G762g]
- The Oxford Book of Classical Verse in Translation. [Ref 881.08 O98]
- The Oxford Classical Dictionary. 3rd ed. [Ref 913.38 O98 Ed.4 2012]
- The Oxford Companion to Classical Literature. 2nd ed. [Ref 880.3 H853o2]