Girls Win In Basketball Fuss Which Started Four Months Ago
Twenty-four Come Out for Initial Practice
Mrs. Eva Mosser Appointed Coach; Tentative Schedule Planned
After much discussion and opposition the co-eds of the campus have been granted permission for the organization of a girls' basketball team, it was announced by Coach Clarence L. Munn following a recent athletic council meeting.
Four months of uncertainty and some blocking have resulted in the selection of Mrs. Eva Mosser as coach. She is well known throughout Berks county as a referee.
Last November twenty-four girls expressed their willingness to organize a team if the proper sanctions were given them by the athletic board. The matter was brought up at the December meeting, but was tabled until the January session of the council. Last month the board approved such an addition to the athletic program, but some discussion arose as to the selection of a coach when Harry A. Humphreys was mentioned and his appointment opposed. Another matter which added more fire to the situation was that of collegiate games to be played away. It was not until Coach Munn personally discussed the matter with President Klein and a satisfactory agreement made.
Lida Faist, organizer of the group, has been in constant touch with college girls' teams, hoping to arrange a schedule for this spring. Among the opponents to be met are Lebanon Valley, Elizabethtown, Temple, East Stroudsburg and Millersville. The only definite date, however, is with Lebanon Valley on February 19 at Annville. All other dates are tentative. In addition to the inter-collegiate games to be played, several practice games are being booked with local and nearby teams.
The candidates out for the sport are; Jeanette Henry, Margaret Knoll, Dorothea Klein, Mary Kalina, Mabel Thomas, Eleanor Richards, Mary Stettler, Peggy Buck, Thelma Kuder, Ruth Stratton, Lida Faist, Betty Dietz, Edith Keys, Rebecca Brooks, Jane Sadler, Caroline Hastings, Jeanne Chafey, Mary Alfano, Serta Schmidt, Martha Hall and Sara Koralsky.
Source: The Albrightian, February 11, 1937