Skip to main content

Sylvan Chapel: Home

Connecting the Past with the Present

 

 

Sylvan Chapel was built in 1772, the oldest building on campus, and was the spring house. In 1942-43, Prof. Lewis Smith, and Anna Ruth Benninger, registrar for the college, were the forces behind changing the first floor into a chapel. Many students had used the chapel for reflection and prayer during World War II. It was dedicated as Sylvan Chapel on September 18, 1942.

The upper floor had once served as a one-room schoolhouse. The pews and pump organ came from the Albright Memorial Church in Kleinfeltersville, Lebanon County, PA. At one time the lower floor had a spring flowing from it. The upper floor was used to store grain.