Skip to main content

GeneShirkStadium: Home

Connecting the Past with the Present

 

 

The Circus Maximus -- (first owned by William Witman, a Reading city councilman, local contractor. Witman had bought the square block in 1906) -- was purchased from George D. Horst in 1923. It had been a baseball park and part of Reading's Tri-State League. Stands made of concrete were built in 1925. The new stadium at Schuylkill College was dedicated on October 10, 1925.

On October 24, 1981 it was named in honor of Gene Shirk during halftime of the homecoming football game. Shirk had been a professor, administrator and coach at Albright College.

On September 24, 2005 the Shirk Stadium after being reconstructed was rededicated to Gene Shirk.