Skip to main content

Gingrich Library: Home

Connecting the Past with the Present

 

 

 

  • 1902 - The first library of Schuylkill Seminary in Reading was located on the first floor of Selwyn Hall.
  • 1921 - After construction of Masters Hall in 1921, the library was moved to the northwest corner on the second floor of the building.
  • 1936 - The old gymnasium was reconstructed into a library and was named the Alumni Memorial Library. Many alumni donated money for the new library.
  • 1964 - A new library was built during 1963-1964 and on April 8, 1964 students had the day off (called a "Book Holiday") and many helped to carry the books to the new library. When the library was built it only had two floors and a third floor was added in 1977. On May 3, 1980, the library was dedicated to F. Wilbur Gingrich. He had always been in favor of improving the library.