From about 1773 until 1875 the building had been a farmhouse, and from 1875 until 1895 it had been a residence for the caretaker of the Episcopal Diocesan School for Boys.
"In 1924 Mr. and Mrs. George D. Horst (he was a Reading industrialist) purchased a six-acre tract of land for the (Schuylkill Seminary at the time) college from Mr. Gottlub, who had been the janitor for Selwyn Hall Academy. The land adjoined the property of Schuylkill Seminary to the north, and included a barn and the farmhouse, which was reconditioned by Mr. (Samuel) Sherman (a building contractor) for college use and named in his honor." (Discovery and Promise, 458).
From 1924 until 1929 it was a dormitory for the young men. Then it served as a residence from the young women until the 1960s. During this period the young women living in the Home Management House learned how to be good homemakers and how to properly care for a child.
In 1975 the alumni office moved from the Library-Administration Buiding to Sherman Cottage. (Discovery and Promise, 416).
On May 7, 1994, the building was renamed the V. Lester (Class of '47) and Mary Ann Pushman Cottage. He was a prominent player on the football, basketball and golf teams.
Pushman Cottage continues as the home of Alumni Relations.