Originally known as Howe Hall it was constructed in 1882 as a one-story building and served as a gymnasium and armory for the Episcopal Diocesan school for boys. In 1888 the second floor was added. In 1902 when Schuylkill Seminary purchased the property of the former Episcopal school, the second floor was used as a dormitory for the boys. The central part of the chapel had an open fireplace, and the building also had classrooms. In 1905 the northwest corner of the basement was converted into a physics laboratory.
The Class of 1914 presented the seminary with a clock (weighing 1800 pounds) and a bell (weighing 500 pounds). However, due to a fire in 1933 which weakened the clock and bell tower, the clock and bell were removed. They were replaced with an electric clock. (Narrator, May 1914.)
"In the year 1924, the first floor of the chapel was renovated and improved. The classrooms were removed from the front and rear to permit the accommodations of more students. The single large room was equipped with 'opera chairs,' stained glass windows were installed and a new platform erected at the eastern end. The new chapel room was properly dedicated when school began in September of 1924." (A History of Albright College: 1856-1956, 332.)
The single, large room had also been used by the Domino Players to put on plays.
When Schuylkill College merged with Albright College, classes began on September 19, 1929, right after a chapel service.
From 1902 until 1940 the second floor had been a dormitory for the men, and from 1941-1945 the women were housed there.
Between 1950 until 1989 the chapel had been used for the Art department.
In 2015 the White Chapel was razed due to the poor condition for it.