Group work: Students will form groups of 2-3 students.
1.) Begin by having the students identify KEY TERMS in the question and brainstorm a list of synonyms and related topics.
- A good dictionary and thesaurus are valuable throughout the research process. A good one to start with is the Collins English Thesaurus
2.) Each group will find the following to answer the question using Academic Search Premier :
- A Popular Article
- A Scholarly Article
3.) Discussion: Groups will each send one representative to board to present their search strategy; discuss results
- Discuss the importance of synonyms
- Discuss database limiters such as date, full text, and peer reviewed.
- Discuss Scholarly v. Popular.
- Discuss if students think that they improved their topic by brainstorming search terms. Ask, “Were there areas of your topic that you hadn’t thought of before?”